A few years back, I shared a recipe for Oreo pudding cookies. I’m not kidding, I’ve heard so many times that it’s the best cookie anyone has ever had, and I have to agree. The pudding makes it so soft and almost cake like. Soft, cake-y cookie with more cookies inside? You really can’t go wrong with all that. But what if it was an all chocolate Oreo pudding cookie?
Every time I make them, I always wonder what a different flavor of pudding would do. Well, this was the year I was determined to try it! Instead of the white chocolate or vanilla (The white chocolate can be hard to find, so more often than not I sub vanilla instant pudding.), I went for chocolate pudding.
In the first batch I made, I went all out and did semi-sweet chocolate chips. I brought them to my side of the family’s Thanksgiving celebration and they were a hit. They were almost brownie like. Complete death by chocolate, which was perfect since I come from a long line of chocolate worshipers.
The second time I made these chocolate Oreo pudding cookies, I used white chocolate chips like in the original recipe. To me, this was the perfect balance. Although, who am I kidding? I’ve never met a cookie I didn’t like!
One of my favorite traditions is to make a million cookies to make up plates to give to neighbors, co-workers and friends. My grandma used to do this when I was little, and it was always my job to go deliver them to the neighbors along the street. Now it’s my kids knocking on the doors and shouting, “Merry Christmas!” to the poor, unsuspecting soul on the other side. Of course, I’m standing on the sidewalk though, because it’s not the early 90s anymore and you can’t just send your 3 and 5 year old down the street alone. LOL! These little full circle moments are the sweetest part of motherhood for sure.
Of course, we have to have some ready for the big guy. How adorable is this Santa letter Isla wrote?
- 1 cup, unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3.4 oz) package chocolate instant pudding mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped Oreos (Must be Oreos! I’ve tried this with Trader Joe’s Joe Joe’s and they just weren’t the same!)
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Using a mixer, cream butter and sugars together. Mix in pudding mix, eggs, and vanilla extract. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
3. Stir in the Oreos and white chocolate chips. I usually do this by hand because the thick, fluffy dough is a lot, even for my beloved Kitchenaid.
4. Roll tablespoon sized balls onto baking sheet, flattening slightly, and bake for about 10 minutes. Let cool and move to a baking rack.
For the chocolate lover- try using semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of white chocolate.
I haven’t tried it yet, but I think the chocolate-chocolate version would be great as a bar cookie! It would definitely add to the brownie effect!
If you make these, I’d love to hear how they turned out! Comment below, or tag us on Instagram! These would be a huge hit at a cookie exchange or potluck!