80s music, typography and a good inside joke. These are a few of my favorite things. When Heather and I saw these 80s style doormats for super cheap at Ikea, I had to snag one to do something with it. It makes me happy every time I cross the threshold in to my literal jungle of a house. And it was pretty easy to do! I can’t speak to the longevity of the mat yet but it’s been out there for a solid month and still looks great!
TOOLS + SUPPLIES NEEDED
- Doormat (I used this one from Ikea. Or you could use this one available online)
- Digital typographic saying (download these or make your own)
- Label paper
- X-acto knife
- Acrylic paint
- Print out your quote. I used “welcome to the jungle.” Runner up was “come on over come on over baby.” We’re giving away both of these options FOR FREE if you click here.
- After you print out your quote for your mat, you need to cut out the letters. I used a combination of an x-acto knife and scissors. This was definitely the most time consuming part of this project (Pro tip: don’t let the center of your O’s, R’s, P’s and B’s fall out, make sure you keep a sliver of the paper connected. You can easily fill in with the paint brush later)
- Peel the label paper and stick on in the place you want your quote to be on your mat. I highly recommend placing the words on before you peel the label paper to make sure everything fits how you imagined.
- After your quote is stuck firmly on to the mat, it’s time to paint! I used a large angled blending paintbrush but really, any paintbrush would work.
- Peel off the label paper and let dry for 24 hours. Then voila! Your very own typographic doormat.
If you end up creating your own typographic doormat, we’d love to see! Tag us on Instagram and use #OkayestMoms.