Brittany and Heather talk to Janet Allison about the complexities of raising boys. Topics covered include how boys typically express emotion, how to handle their big emotions, and how the pandemic has affected boys specifically. They also discuss addressing privilege with white boys.
Janet also shares about her new project, The Boy Talk Blueprint.
WHO WE TALKED TO
Mom, Educator, Family Coach, Author, Speaker, Co-Host of the ON BOYS Parenting Podcast, “Boys & Anger” Expert, and Boy-Champion. With more than 20 years experience – coaching parents, mentoring teachers, and being the featured parenting expert on both radio and TV, Janet loves empowering parents and teachers with proven tools and strategies to raise boys to be confident, caring and capable men.
WHAT TO LISTEN FOR: Raising boys
- How to handle a silent car ride
- The subtle differences between how males and females communicate
- Empathy and boys
- How to best handle emotional triggers
- When to seek help for something bigger
Things We Mention: Tools for Raising Boys
- Raising Boys by Steve Biddulph
- Loop ear plugs are an absolute must if you are prone to sensory overload
- Birds + Bees + YOUR Kids: A Guide to Sharing Your Beliefs About Sexuality, Love and Relationships by Amy Lang, MA
HOW TO SUPPORT OUR PODCAST
We now have a Patreon! Patreon is a way to help support the Okayest Moms. Monthly subscriptions can be done in $1, $3, and $5 increments. We couldn’t create the content we love to create without your support, and are so appreciative of the big and small ways that our community supports us!
CHECK IN WITH THE OKAYEST MOMS
We see this podcast as a conversation with friends. Except all you can do is listen. Ha! But, if you have something to add, we’d love to hear from you! Shoot us an email at [email protected]! Or you can find us on our blog, or on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. We even have an Etsy shop!