Brittany and Heather talk to Addie Fisher of Old World New, who shares all about the history and significance of Kwanzaa. Addie shares how her family celebrates, as well as culturally appropriate ways to honor the holiday with your family.
Addie Fisher is a sustainable lifestyle content creator and the founding editor of Old World New, where she shares tips to live sustainably for people of all backgrounds. Her goal is to provide free access to knowledge that makes living sustainably accessible to underrepresented communities, especially communities of color – all in an entertaining manner. Addie also often shares her culture as an African American woman, whether that’s celebrating Juneteenth and Kwanzaa or sharing her family’s history, in hopes to enlighten, educate, and share the joy she finds in her heritage.
WHAT TO LISTEN FOR: Kwanzaa
- The cultural significance of Kwanzaa, and how it was started
- The seven pillars of Kwanzaa
- Books and other resources to learn about Kwanzaa with your family
- Ways Addie’s family celebrates Kwanzaa
Things we mentioned
- Addie has a great post on Old World New that goes into more depth about Kwanzaa.
- The Proud Family has a Kwanzaa episode that can be found on Disney+ or on YouTube.
- Make sure you check out the amazing series Addie has on YouTube about celebrating each day of Kwanzaa!
you might also like
SHARE YOUR OKAYEST MOM MOMENT
We’ve all had Okayest Mom Moments. Those moments in motherhood that make you pause and whisper “WTF?” under your breath. Those moments that are so unique to motherhood that if you don’t laugh, you might cry. These stories are meant to reassure you that no one is doing motherhood perfectly, and that there is beauty in the imperfection.
We’d love to feature yours on the podcast! Leave us a message at (916) 778-0545, or email us at [email protected].
CHECK IN WITH THE OKAYEST MOMS
We see this podcast as a conversation with friends. Except all you can do is listen. Ha! But, if you have something to add, we’d love to hear from you! Shoot us an email at [email protected]! Or you can find us on our blog, or on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. We even have an Etsy shop!