This Sausage Spinach Tortellini Soup is creamy, delicious, and super easy to throw together when you’re in a time pinch. You may notice that I’m posting this when it’s still feels like the surface of the sun outside, but stick with me. It’s perfect for an easy meal when it’s hot out and turns out, there’s legit research that says eating hot food on hot days actually helps you cool down. So, here’s a soup recipe even when it’s 100 degrees out! Or, pin it for later when you need a hearty, delicious bowl.
This soup is definitely a crowd pleaser. I try to keep tortellini and sausage stocked in the freezer and can pull them out when I need a quick meal. This recipe makes enough to feed my family of 4 plus leftovers.
Prep time takes about 15 minutes and cook time is about 30 minutes. That’s a full meal made in less than an hour, which is key on weekdays when it’s suddenly 4 o’clock and I have no idea what’s for dinner. Whip this up, slice up some crunchy bread, and voila! Dinner is served.
Tips and Notes
Sausage Spinach Tortellini Soup can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it! To freeze, omit the tortellini. When you de-thaw and reheat, cook tortellini separately according to package instructions, strain then add to reheated soup.
Sausage is my favorite in this particular recipe but it can be substituted with bacon, ground beef, or anything else you have on hand.
Garnish with your favorite cheese! I love Gruyere but parmesan would be amazing too.
Sausage Spinach Tortellini Soup
A creamy, delicious, and easy soup to add to your meal planning rotation!
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1/4 c yellow onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 5 c chicken broth
- 14-20 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 oz fresh spinach
- 2 cup whole milk (or half and half)
- In a large stockpot, on medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate, set aside.
- Add onion and carrot to pot. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, until carrots are soft. Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Simmer then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sausage, tortellini, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, spinach and whole milk. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the tortellini is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated Gruyere or parmesan.
Regular Italian sausage can be substituted for hot Italian sausage for a little kick.
Substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and omit the sausage for a yummy vegetarian option.
Not in to hot soups right now? Check out these 20 easy summer meal ideas. In a meal planning slump? We got you.
Leave a Reply